Crispy Paneer-Potato Burgers
Inspired by the Desi aloo Tikki — this patty is filled with aromatic spices, cilantro, fluffy potato, and grated paneer. We serve them up on a traditional hamburger bun with a garlicky yogurt sauce, thinly sliced onion, and cucumber. Feel free to use ketchup, mustard, and pickles here as well, these burgers are adaptable and go with everything.
Servings: Makes about 6 burgers
For the patties:
- 1 lbs yellow potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 ounces SACH Foods Original Paneer, grated
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped finely
- 3 Tbsp neutral oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated finely
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp dried mint
- salt, to taste
To make the patties:
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until fork-tender and soft, strain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash the potatoes using a masher or fork until no large chunks remain.
- To the mashed potatoes, add the grated paneer, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, salt, beaten egg, and cilantro. Mix well until combined.
- Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to scoop out the potato paneer mixture and form into patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is glistening, fry the patties, in batches, until golden brown and crispy, adding more oil if necessary — about 6 minutes per side.
For the garlic yogurt:
- Mix the grated garlic, lime juice, yogurt, dried mint, and salt in a small bowl until combined.
We recommend serving these crispy potato paneer burgers on a hamburger bun with the garlic yogurt, thinly sliced red onion, cucumber, and greens.