Paneer Butter Masala
With just a few ingredients and under 30 minutes of preparation time, this Paneer Butter Masala recipe is one of our favorite recipes. Hearty, creamy, and absolutely delicious — We often batch cook the buttery sauce for an easy weeknight dinner.
Photo by: Mackenzie Smith Kelley
- 1 Pack (6oz) of Sach Original Paneer, cubed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4-5 nos garlic cloves
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 medium sized onion, roughly chopped
- 4-5 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 7-8 cashew nuts
- 1-2 green chillies
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek, crushed
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 1-2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp garam masala (optional)
- Kosher salt (To taste)
- Soak 7-8 cashews in 1/4 cup of hot water
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add 1 tsp cumin seeds, ginger, and garlic, onions, and saute for 3-4 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, green chilies, and the soaked cashews along with the water. Give everything a good toss and cover and cook on low/medium heat for about 15 mins.
- Remove from the heat and cool at room temperature for 5 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to a blender and add a few tablespoons of water if the mixture looks too dry. Blend on a medium speed until silky smooth. Once blended, set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter melts, add the remaining 1 tsp cumin seeds, coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric, and sugar. Cook until it starts to sputter and turn brown.
- Reduce the heat to low, add blended tomato mixture, cubed paneer, sugar, and salt. Cook for 7-8 minutes on medium heat until reduced to a rich and glossy sauce.
- Finally add 1 tbsp cream (optional), dried/crushed Fenugreek leaves, or fresh cilantro.
- Serve hot with a knob of butter along with steamed rice or naan.