Hetal's Ras Malai
A quick ras malai recipe done in 30 minutes! Soft, melt in your mouth paneer soaked in a sweet, cardamom spiced milk.
Recipe by: Hetal Vasavada (@milkandcardamom)
- Add the 6 oz paneer that has been frozen and then thawed to room temperature, to a small bowl and knead for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 tsp baking soda and 1 tbsp powdered sugar and knead for 5 minutes, or until the dough is completely smooth. Break the paneer up into 10 even pieces and roll each piece into a ball and flatten between the palms of your hands. Set aside.
- Bring 5 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Once it comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium and add the flatten paneer to the sugar syrup. Simmer for 15 minutes while covered.
- Fill a large mixing bowl with ice. Once the paneer is done simmering. Add 1 cup of the hot sugar syrup to the ice along with all the paneer. Let it sit for 5 -10 minutes to cool.
- While the paneer is cooling down, mix the milk mixture. Add 1 cup of whole milk, 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup heavy cream, 1 cup evaporated milk, 1/4 tsp of cardamom, and a pinch of saffron to a large container. Whisk until well combined.
- Gently pick up the cooled paneer and lightly squeeze to get rid of any excess syrup and add to the milk mixture.
- Repeat until all the paneer has been added to the milk mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, overnight is best for the best texture and flavor!