Paneer Bhurji and Pickled Red Onion Flatbreads
Paneer Bhurji - A delicious scramble of paneer, tomatoes, onion, and spices. For this variation, we serve the bhurji on top of store-bought naan with a sprinkle of cilantro and pickled red onion. The recipe comes together in just about 30 minutes (and the scramble itself reheats well), so you can enjoy it as a fun breakfast, afternoon snack, or quick weeknight meal.
Servings: Serves 2 as a main or 4 as an appetizer
Recipe by: Karishma Pradhan (@homecookingcollective)
- 1 Pack (6-oz) Sach Original Paneer, crumbled into small pieces
- 1 large red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated ginger (or ginger paste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated garlic (or garlic paste)
- 1 serrano chili, sliced in half lengthwise (optional, for heat)
- 1 plum or roma tomato, finely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder or other mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pieces of store-bought naan, warmed
- 2 tablespoons loosely packed cilantro, finely chopped
Pickle the red onion:
- Cut a quarter of the red onion into thin slices or rings and place into a small bowl. Squeeze onions with lime juice, season with a pinch of salt, and toss to coat. Set aside for at least 15 minutes to marinate or store in the fridge (covered) for up to 3 days before using.
Meanwhile, make the paneer bhurji:
- Finely dice the remaining 3/4 of the red onion.
- Set a medium saute pan to medium heat. Add oil, then stir in cumin seeds. Once seeds begin to sizzle in the pan and release an aroma, add the red onion.
- Cook red onion on medium-low until soft and translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and add in ginger, garlic, and serrano chili (if using). Cook for 1 minute, until ginger and garlic are aromatic and soften slightly.
- Add tomato, garam masala, chili powder, and turmeric. Cook on medium heat for 6-8 minutes until tomatoes soften and break down into a paste-like consistency. Season with salt.
- Reduce heat to low, then stir in crumbled paneer. Cook for 1 minute, until paneer softens. Season again with salt.
Assemble the flatbreads:
- Place each flatbread on a plate, then top with a generous serving of paneer bhurji.
- Garnish with minced cilantro and pickled red onion.
- Serve as is, or cut each flatbread into 3-4 pieces for smaller portions.